Bellaugello gay estate offers luxurious accommodation and facilities in which to relax and unwind on holiday in a comfortable, informal yet elegant environment in the heart of Umbria, near Perugia, central Italy.
Situated on an elevated south-facing slope overlooking the valley of the river Chiascio, the house and gardens at Bellaugello enjoy far reaching views along the Apennines, the Monte Cucco national park, and south toward Assisi. Immersed in countryside yet close to the cities of Perugia and Gubbio.
Our vision is focused on the gay community. Our home is a free and tolerant environment, where diversity and respect are valued. At Bellaugello you will find peace and tranquility, a place where you can instinctively be yourself, a place to relax and recharge, a place to let your cares wash away.... Bellaugello is neither ‘gay friendly’ nor ‘hetero friendly’ rather Bellaugello, our home, is open to all respectful of the fact it is a gay guest house, and which we are delighted to share with you and your friends. Bellaugello is owned and run by gay guys.
At Bellaugello you will discover:
- Peace, comfort and tranquility in beautiful surroundings, an oasis of calm.
- Your suite fully prepared, ready for your arrival - you will find fine cotton bedding, fluffy towels, artisan soap and shampoo - you only need to unpack to begin to relax.
- A fully equipped kitchen corner in each suite including fridge, gas hob, plates and glasses, and all the necessary utensils for preparation of simple meals in your suite or outside on your private terrace.
- The chance to order a starter pack of groceries - a hamper to save you the bother of having to shop on your arrival. For details of what Umbrian goodies are included and how to order see our book now page.
- Your own private terrace, space to dine or relax outdoors.
- Daily breakfasts served with guests seated together at one table in the dining room or on the main terrace. Includes cereals, home baked bread and cakes, an assortment of home made marmalades and yogurt, teas, coffee and tisanes.
- The option of dining with us. We serve dinner three evenings a week using local produce. Guests are seated together either around our antique family table or under the stars on the terrace, a chance to get to know your fellow guests, swap stories and experiences.
- The chance to celebrate. Partner packages include welcome prosecco and flowers on arrival in you suite, a romantic candlelit dinner for two deep in the garden on our private dining terrace, personalised wine and cookery tours or relaxing massages. See the section on our booking form .
- Daily light cleaning service of your suite. We will make your bed, tidy the bathroom and dispose of your trash.
- For guests staying four or more nights we offer a full linen change every four nights. Full cleaning service and additional linen change requests always catered for, but at extra charge.
- In addition to their bathrooms the Azzurro and Giardino suites also have outdoor showers - why not shower in ‘the world’s biggest bathroom”?
- WiFi Internet connection - new for 2013 strengthened wifi coverage includes the pool and garden areas.
- iPod dock, television and dvd player in your suite, and, in the dining room a selection of books, cds and dvds for you to enjoy.
- 15m x 5m infinity swimming pool, treated by salt, which produces natural chlorine, softer on your skin and eyes and friendlier to the environment.
- Swimming pool towels for use during your stay with us.
- The option to be naked. Our pool and grounds are clothing optional - if you wish, feel free to get that ‘all over tan’ but remember... it is not obligatory!
- Two mountain bikes and local maps, even an optional picnic rucksack, for you to explore the valley and surrounding countryside.
- In cooler months, we operate a Finnish log fired dry Sauna situated on a panoramic terrace in our garden.
Long term sustainability is very important to us; Our 53 hectare estate provides timber to fuel our wood burning boiler, underfloor heating and fireplaces. Solar panels provide our hot water. Our olive grove provides our own olive oil, the vegetable garden, our salad leaves, tomatoes and vegetables in season, and the garden heady with the scents of lavender, rosemary and herbs, is abundant with fruit trees which provide ingredients for our home baking and marmalades.
Chill and relax; At the house on your private terrace, by the chlorine free horizon swimming pool, or in a hammock under the shade of a tree. The garden, swimming pool area and sauna are clothing optional.
Or explore a little; The estate and river Chiascio valley offer many quiet tracks all waiting to be discovered on foot or by bicycle. We provide mountain bikes for your use. Close at hand are the historic cities of Assisi, with the basilica of St Francis; Perugia, with its Etruscan underground city, National Museum of Art and Umbria Jazz Festival; Urbino, with the splendid renaissance Montefeltro palace; Citta di Castello, home to the Burri Collection; and Gubbio, one of the finest preserved medieval cities in Europe. Each hosting religious and musical festivals and fairs.
Glorious Umbrian hill top towns with a diversity of interest abound. Each has streets lined with artisan shops, enoteca and restaurants are all waiting to be explored; Spello, almost melting off the hill, has late Roman gateways; Montone, a traditional autumn food fair; Todi, a large antiques fair; Montefalco, produces fabulous sagrantino di Montefalco wine; and Monte Castello di Vibio, has a tiny theatre,. A little further away lie the Tuscan treasure cities of Siena, Montepulciano, San Gimignano and Florence.
Since first coming on holiday to Umbria nearly twenty years ago I have returned countless times and now chosen to make Umbria my home, and to share my home with others.
The draw of the region has been strong, I was, and remain captivated by the beautiful verdant scenery, hill top towns full of character and charm, that cling tightly to wooded hillsides, the warmth of the residents, quality of the food and wine and of course the stupendous art and festivals. To have all that yet to be close to the cities of Rome, Florence and Siena made this a must be place to live.
Home was formerly the UK primarily in Scotland where I first studied, then practiced hotel management owning and running two country house hotels, and, before it became fashionable, restored houses. Umbria always tugged at the back of my mind, I wanted to open a gay guest house where like minded men can relax and enjoy a holiday without prejudice to offer the kind of holiday I myself enjoy.
First and foremost I wanted a house with big south facing views with space enough to create separate guest suites, and because of my love of cooking, a dining room, and dining terrace, space for a dreamy horizon swimming pool, and terraced land on which to create a garden. The house had to be romantic, old and not restored, but, at the same time not ruinious, and, because I wanted to grow crops, harvest my own olives, and practice sustainable living had to sit in its own land . A tall order!
After innumerable viewings a local friend told me of a house for sale in a place called Valdichiascio, I could not even pronounce the name, but went off to inspect. Within one hundred metres from the main road, without even having seen the house I knew I was home, and indeed as we neared the house it just continued to get better, it suited my purpose exactly. A lengthy process of negotiation resulted in my purchasing Bellaugello (pronounced bell - ow - jello) and together with my three dogs; Milo, Edo and Jenny, and furniture, relocated over here early in 2007. Since then I have been busy creating what is on offer today, ready for you to enjoy.